2021 Safety Town
Safety Town 2021
SAFETY TOWN is offered to any child entering 5 year old Kindergarten in fall of 2021 or older students who have not yet attended Safety Town. This includes all students entering 1st grade in the fall of 2021 who were not able to attend Safety Town due to the program being canceled because of Covid. When children enter Kindergarten or first grade in the fall, he or she will encounter many new experiences. Safety Town is designed to help them navigate these experiences.
SAFETY TOWN is an early childhood safety education program designed to introduce all types of safety conditions to incoming Kindergarten children. During a 15 hour course (1.5 hours a day for 2 weeks), children will learn safety behavior through their own involvement. They do this under the guidance/instruction of a licensed teacher, police officers, and student volunteer instructors. Student instructors may be middle or high school students from Burlington or the surrounding areas. Safety lessons are taught with the child learning through demonstrations and participation. Movies, songs, posters, bus safety and field trips to the Burlington Police and Burlington Fire Departments are several of the things that your child will be experiencing.
After the course, each child should be familiar with the following:
1. Separation from parent
2. Name, address and telephone number
3. Proper street crossing
4. Importance of using a crosswalk
5. Stopping at a curb
6. Crossing streets using a traffic light and walk light
7. Dangers of walking between parked cars
8. Walking where there are no sidewalks
9. Dangers of trains and proper procedure when crossing railroad tracks
10. Dangers of chasing a ball into the street
11. Colors, shapes and meaning of safety signs
12. Safe places to play
13. Bus procedure
14. Proper way to enter and exit a car on curb side
15. Importance of safety belts
16. Dangers of household objects, medicine bottles, etc.
17. Strangers and what to do if approached by a stranger
18. Bicycle, tricycle and pedal car safety
19. The importance of the buddy system
20. What to do if lost
21. What to do in case of fire
22. Dangers of matches, lighters and fire
23. Emergency vehicles and what they do
2021 Safety Town, June 14 – 25, 2021
Dyer Elementary School
201 S. Kendrick Ave., Burlington
4 sessions are available on a first come first serve basis.
$45 per Participant
8:30 – 10:00 a.m.
10:30 – 12:00 p.m.
12:30 – 2:00 p.m.
2:30 - 4:00 p.m.
Registration is open for both participates and volunteers.
Registration Deadline is May 31, 2021
Visit www.tinyurl.com/BurWiSafetyTown to register and for more information.
For more information you may also visit www.nationalsafetytown.com.